Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What would you have done?

Yesterday I was shocked to see that people do not stand up for others.

I was in the metro train heading to People's Square. We were standing in one station and the doors were already closing. Suddenly people in the metro train would stare outside of the windows.

What was going on?

Then I saw:
A man, maybe 40 years old had fallen to the ground straight with his chin onto the pavement. His glasses were screwed and his arms were at his sides. His whole body was shaking and really I suppose everyone around him thought he was going to die.
What really shocked me, was that all the people around him ignored him. They passed around him in a well defined circle, not even giving him a glance.
Others were merely standing (in a good distance away from him) and starring at him. But noone, not a single person came to him and helped him, noone called an ambulance. - it was none of their business.
They were probably afraid of him. Maybe he was sick and they could maybe infect themselves by touching him?

After a while he stopped shaking and stood up, still dizzy. He took his glasses, realized that they were twisted and... our train began to move.

I do not know what happened to the man after we left the station, but I felt infuriated to see that noone considered to help.
The people standing around him, were watching and waiting for the next thing that would happen to him. Will he be alright? Will he black out? Will he die? Why is he shaking? What kind of illnes does he have? Is it a heart attack? Can I get infected? Shall I help? Why should I help?

I can understand their worries. It is always a question of being selfish and being altruistic.

Every day we make the decision and choose one or the other side.

Especially in China this question is very prominent. There are sooooo many people in China, if you are not selfish how can you survive? What does it give you back if you are altruistic here? With its politic system, is it only possible to think for yourself in order to really exist?

What would you have done?

No comments: